Saturday, April 12, 2014

The 'S' Word



"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord..." Ephesians 5:22 

It wasn't too long ago that I would cringe at this verse. I worked too hard I thought to roll over and let someone else make decisions for me. I'm an educated, hard working woman with a good head on my shoulders. I can do things on my own. I was (am) prideful.

Then one day, a few weeks ago, Chad and I wanted our family to do two different things. His decision was rooted in what was best for our family. My decision was rooted in fear. I didn't recognize either of these things until later. So, what did I do? I pouted. I protested. I lost. In the end, Chad was right.

Later that day, I recognized the magnitude of that moment. That moment was a chance for me to be submissive to my husband's decision. A chance for me to trust him as our family's leader. At the time I didn't know what was best, but Chad did.

I am learning that the word 'submit' in synonymous with 'trust'. Please don't misunderstand this post as a piece advocating for disempowering women. It's quite the opposite. Women have a voice in the world today like never before. With this voice, women teach, encourage, inspire, and empower others. For this I am so thankful! In fact, this blog is the very evidence of that voice-my voice.

In our family, every major-and most minor-decision is made together. Chad regularly solicits my advice and listens to my heart. For this, too, I am thankful. In doing so, Chad is showing me love by valuing my input. But when I am wrong, an occurrence that is less rare than I originally believed, it is Chad's duty as a husband and father to make the right choice. The choice that is best for our family. It is my duty, then, to submit. By submitting, we-as wives-are building a stronger, more unified family. In this way, women have the power to contribute to their family's fortress. A fortress built on God's Word.

So, how have you learned to submit? Where are you on the learning curve? I want to know! Let's use our voices to empower others.


No comments:

Post a Comment