Saturday, February 23, 2013

Just have fun with it



"Just have fun with it," said the yoga master as she propelled her legs forward, balancing her body weight on just her arms while entering the "forearm headstand".

I opted out for "child's pose" and watched in awe. I'll try that pose later, I thought.

Day one of strength training arms by way of yoga, complete. Ladies, you know the arms I'm talking about; those I'm-not-afraid-to-wear-a-tanktop-and-wave arms. They don't exactly run in my gene pool, so I'm trying to change that small reality.

Besides, I love yoga. Beginner's yoga that is. Have you tried it? If not, you must at least once. I'm a fan of Tara Stiles and her beginner youtube videos that you can do in the privacy of your home.

I know I never look professional while trying the routines. Especially when Chad warns me-in earnest, mind you-not to collapse into the glass mirror on the other side of the room. Nevertheless, in the end I feel relaxed and well stretched.

What's your feel good go-to exercise routine? I'd love to hear!



video from TaraStiles.com

1 comment:

  1. I've recently thought about getting into yoga because of the immense benefits I know it provides. If anything, it is a great supplement to any cardio or resistance workout. However, my go-to exercise would have to be any kind of combat inspired cardio. All the punching, uppercutting, and kicking takes some adjustment when just getting started, but the workout makes me feel strong. If done right it works every part of your body. I always feel it most in my back and shoulders, though. But I love the adrenaline rush! Imagining that target and hitting it with all of your power is exhilerating. I think this type of cardio is becoming more popular, because of the rise in interest in programs such as Les Mills Combat and P90X (they have a video called "Kenpo," their variation of combat moves). I highly recommend it :)

    ReplyDelete