Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Corn, Avocado and Tomato Salad with Honey Lime Dressing

Okay, so I don't know if I can actually put this endeavor under the label of "summer food series" since it didn't really involve cooking anything. Rather, I chopped, and, darn it, I'm one good chopper.

As promised, this idea came from one of my recent pins to my Pinterest "Grub" board. This salad doesn't really have a name other than its descriptors: corn, avocado and tomato salad with honey lime dressing. This was so simple and light, perfect for a hot summer evening. (The hubs approved.)

So this was the process...

I collected my ingredients. The beauty of this recipe is that you probably have most of what you need in your refrigerator or pantry. What you don't have is cheap and any extra is easily used for other items on your menus.  

Here's what I gathered for the salad:

1 can of corn (I was making this quickly and didn't want to grill corn on the cob like the recipe detailed)
grape tomatoes (halved)
1 ripe avocado (I bought another for guacamole later)
fresh cilantro (1 tbsp chopped)

Here's what I gathered for the dressing:

3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp honey
dashes of salt and pepper to taste
1 garlic clove minced
1 dash of cayenne pepper (which I forgot, but will try in the future)
1 lime's juice


It took me all of five minutes to put together the entire concoction. Here's what the finished, dressed product looked like: 



We paired the salad with Trader Joe's spicy jalapeƱo chicken sausage and chips and salsa. A summery southwestern inspired meal, yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment